Tilling With A String Trimmer

Weed Eater is a registered and trademarked brand name that has been getting used generically to describe all string trimmers. In journalism school they taught us not to do that, so I will use the appropriate generic term "string trimmer."

About a year before we moved out here I bought a new gas-powered Homelite string trimmer. It got stolen before I ever got to use it. I had a Black & Decker electric trimmer with a detachable battery, which was great for most residential use. I highly recommend it.

When we moved out here I needed something a little more heavy-duty, so I went shopping. Price was a big factor, but ultimately, I bought a Ryobi model with a head that could be swapped out for other attachments. When I got home I discovered it didn't have the string trimmer attachment, so I had to go back to the store to buy one, but still a nice heavy-duty machine and a reasonable price. I've been using it a moderate amount around here--running a gas-powered string trimmer is one of my least favorite tasks.

A couple of years ago one of our old neighbors told me she had a tiller attachment she couldn't use and I could have it for free. It was still new in the box. My Ryobi owners manual had said it would use any other brand of attachment and the new one sure looked like it would fit.

I have a regular front tine tiller, so I never got around to trying the attachment, but I broke a tine off the Yard Machine and hadn't gotten it welded yet. Since I needed to till parts of the garden for planting fall crops, I got out the attachment.

First of all, the Poulan attachment fit the Ryobi perfectly. Starting up was tricky, because the Ryobi has to be started at full throttle, with choke. I figured out I could prop the tiller head up on something and the Ryobi started easily.

I had seen my neighbor next door us a tiller attachment to till his raised beds last year and I noticed it was so light it jumped around all over the place. This year he bought an actual tiller. The area I was tilling had been tilled last winter, but had been a walkway all spring and summer. It was fairly compacted. I was prepared for an unpleasant experience. It wasn't too bad. The Ryobi/Poulan didn't jump around any worse than any front-tine tiller. Then a miracle happened. I accidentally pulled the tiller. It worked just like a rear-tine tiller. No jumping, just smooth, straight furrows. And dragging a string trimmer behind me was not uncomfortable at all. The reversed hand positions were comfortable and perfectly workable. It's like it was made to be used that way.

I would still use a full-size tiller on unbroken ground, but now I have this great second option for reworking the garden.

One thing I learned is to cut any plant growth down to soil level and rake away any mulch so the tiller doesn't get clogged or tangled up. Now I'm ready to amend the soil and plant beets, cabbage and carrots.



The Ryobi motor and Poulan tiller head. The head shaft is shorter than a string trimmer shaft, which gives a better angle of attack for turning the soil.



The Poulan tines are nice and sturdy, and the outer tines can be removed to work narrower areas.



Our infamous red dirt--including a good deal of organic material added last spring. This was taken after two passes, ready to rake and plant.

Other brands of string trimmer power heads and attachments are available. These are the only ones I tried. I don't get paid for endorsing anybody's products, but I'll take money if Ryobi or Poulan offer.

Stephen

All photos are copyright 2017, Stephen P. Scott

Comments