Deep Fried Dinner

Once or twice during the summer, my mother used to make deep fried dinner. The meat part varied, but steak fingers were our favorite. The rest of the meal consisted of battered and fried vegetables that were in season. I always looked forward to the occasional deep fried dinner and sometimes I like to carry on the tradition.



I start by preheating peanut oil in the deep fryer to 375 degrees. This can also be done in a skillet with half an inch of oil. I use a few french fry cut potatoes to make sure it's hot enough.



Next I begin prepping vegetables, cutting fries and squash. I wash and dry young tender okra pods.



Thin sliced patty pan squash and the tender upper half of asparagus stalks fry up well.



I used cod as the main protein source. Before battering, I cut the cod into strips.



For this dinner I used one of my easy breading recipes.


Sour Cream Deep Fry Breading Recipe

1 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream and 1 Tbsp. flour. In a second bowl, stir together the remaining flour and the Cajun seasoning. Coat the cod with the liquid mixture and set it aside. Starting with the squash, coat a small batch of vegetables in the milk and then roll in the flour mixture. Fry in small batches in order not to cool the oil too much. Cook until golden brown. Place on a rack to drip.

Kathy came up with a useful idea. Tear off two lengths of aluminum foil and place them on a counter. Cover with paper towels and then put the cooling rack on top.



Cooking small batches produces a crispier coating. Allowing the fried food to drain on the rack reduces the greasiness.



After cutting the ends off of jalapenos and removing the seeds, I stuffed the peppers with cheddar cheese.




Kathy and Patrick had never had okra fried whole. They loved it. Soon there was only one lonely fried okra left. I made a second batch.

It was a great meal with homegrown produce, but a little too heavy to eat very often. By the way, the fried stuffed japalenos were gone before I could get a photo.

Stephen

Comments