Starting Seeds Again

Or should I say, some more. I have an insane number of plants already, but I also have an insane amount of leftover seed and like to hedge my bets.

It really isn't too late to start tomato and pepper seeds indoors.


The first time I encountered a gardener who used the damp paper towel method for starting seeds was 1978. Since then, I've found many more people, including online experts, who do this. 

My dad always soaked his bean and corn seed overnight to give them a jump start and I've read about soaking all kinds of seeds before planting. I used to soak my peas and beans, but I find my germination rate is better when I don't. Besides, I have way too many seed varieties and I can't deal with finding places for dozens of plastic cups.

I don't like the paper towel method for several reasons: first, some seeds sprout weeks before others of the same variety and I find it necessary to check the seeds every day; second, the towels must be moistened daily or the seeds dry out and the process stops; third, the tiny roots are very fragile and often grow into the paper fibers, requiring extra care in handling.

That said, the paper towel method is the only way to get many varieties of peppers to germinate.

Most instructions say to place the damp paper towel containing the seeds into a Zip-Lock bag. Putting a damp paper towel into a small bag is awkward. I save clear plastic produce bags. They work better and they are free.

I fold a paper towel in half and then in half again. I write the name of the seed on the towel with a Sharpie and it stays readable even after weeks of dampening. Like the photo above, I spread the seeds inside the folded paper towel, close it and dampen with a spray bottle of water. After placing the towel in the bag, I fold the bag shut and place it in a warm light place. Many seeds require light to germinate.


Once a root has emerged, I very carefully use tweezers to move the seed into a pot of soil. Unfortunately, the root must now reorient itself and push the seed up to the light. This process can slow growth and use up some of the tiny plant's vigor. That is why I plant my tomato seeds directly into soil.


 These plants are now ready to transplant into the garden or larger pots.


 This is one of the tomatoes I planted around the end of February. It is healthy and vigorous.


This is a tomato I bought at Walmart. It is in roughly the same size pot as the plant above. This is the healthiest plant I found. Stores no longer have a person to water and care for their plants. In some cases, the only care they receive is when the vendor shows up to deliver more plants and does a quick watering.

Large plants like this are attractive and tempting, but not the best choice. This plant is completely root bound and should have been re-potted over a month ago. My little plant above will quickly outgrow this one, once they are in the garden (I have since potted this one into a gallon pot). Plants that are already blossoming or putting on tomatoes will be poor performers and should be avoided. The best place to buy plants is at a nursery or greenhouse, but even there, remember that a larger plant may not be as productive as one planted while young and vigorous.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, my potatoes, peas, onions and daikon are all coming up and there is snow in this week's forecast.

Stephen

Comments