Creatures in the Greenhouse

So far I've been lucky. The most destructive beasts I've had in the greenhouse are blister beetles and they move slowly so I managed to crush almost all of them. I've run across a few more since, but no major infestations like the first time. I haven't had any stink bugs or other plant destroying bugs yet and I hope that my chrysanthemums and marigolds are having some effect in repelling them.



I've had grasshoppers a time or two. They do a little damage to leaves and they are good at hiding, but they are also easy to catch and toss outside for the chickens.



Katydids and other leaf hoppers can eat even more and they are really good at hiding, but still, they are fairly slow moving and easy to catch.

I've had leaf miners a time or two. Simply picking off the affected leaves and disposing of them in the trash has eliminated them and prevented infestation.

I haven't had a problem with white flies or other annoying little insects yet and I hope to prevent them if I can. I'm sure there are many small insects residing in the greenhouse that do little if any serious plant damage, but they have their own controls.



At least twice I've found little frogs living in the greenhouse. I don't think they would be there if they didn't have a sufficient food supply. I'm perfectly happy to coexist with them if they don't mind me.

Every year when the weather turns cold, we have a problem with dozens of ladybugs moving into the house. And they bite. These are Asian Lady Beetles. They were introduced to the United States to help control aphids, but soon became invasive. On the bright side, they eat lots of small insects that can be destructive to houseplants and, of course, container plants in greenhouses.

If the ladybugs don't automatically invade the greenhouse when the weather begins to cool, I can always transfer an almost endless supply from the bathroom walls and window.

I do have ants from time to time, but they haven't been a problem. I'll do more research before time to button up the greenhouse for winter, so I can be ready for any new creatures.

Stephen

Comments