Pepper Seed Madness

Kathy says I get obsessive about things. Ordinarily I argue and attempt to justify what I'm doing in some way. For once, I have to agree. I'm obsessed.



This is what 29 different varieties of peppers look like. To be fair, six of those are bell peppers. Still, I have 23 different varieties of hot peppers.

Some varieties are hotter than jalepenos and some are milder, with habanero being the hottest. I'm not sure which is mildest.

A number of these seeds are for drying peppers such as Pasilla Bajio and Chile de Arbol, which I will dry and store or make powder from and bottle. Some are smoking peppers, such as Paprika and Chipotle, which will be dried and ground after they are smoked. A handful are for cooking and stuffing, such as the jalepeno, the Numex Big Jim and Ancho Pablano. The remainder are for making hot sauce.

I should mention that some of these are sort of duplicates. Chipotle peppers are usually just jalepenos that have been smoked, dried and ground, but there are some slight variants bred especially for Chipotle and are labeled "Chipotle," usually with an explanation if and why they are different. Ancho peppers are usually just dried Pablano, but not always. I grew Anchos last year that were not quite the same as Pablanos. This year I'm only growing a variety called Ancho Pablano, because I want them for stuffing, but will likely dry the surplus.

But what will I do with so many peppers? It would be nice if I can sell some transplants, fresh peppers, dried peppers and sauces, but we'll see about that as the season begins. I'm not even sure where I'm going to plant 29 different varieties of peppers. The bell peppers are for eating fresh and freezing for later and will have their own area in the garden. The hot peppers will likely occupy containers, flowerbeds and any other suitable areas I can find.

Next year I will probably pair down the number to less than a dozen. I only have seven varieties of tomato seeds, mostly varieties I tested and liked last year, with a couple of others to try. I only grow red tomatoes because it keeps things simpler.

There are hundreds of varieties of peppers, so I think I've shown some restraint. I only grow heirloom varieties developed in the Americas, with an emphasis on New Mexico, Mexico and Chile. I'm not worried about them going to waste because I think they make pretty ornamental plants and they are cheaper than most flower seeds. 

I'm excited to announce that I have been invited to join the affiliate program for the SeedsNow online seed store. If you click the link below, go to their store and make a purchase, I get a small commission that adds nothing to the price you pay. I've recommended SeedsNow in the past and I buy many of my seeds from them. I like the ease-of-use of their site, the nice variety and the option to buy sample packets of seeds for as little as 99 cents. Check them out.

Stephen


Comments