Composting in Place

Last year I experimented with composting in place (also called trench composting). My results were good. For each layer of raw compost I buried, I got a nice half inch strata of rich finished compost.

Because my garden plot is small, rotating crops is a problem. I use a wide row technique, which is like in-ground beds. In my tomato rows I also plant compatible companion plants like Borage, Marigolds, onions, carrots, basil and peppers. I space my rows about three feet apart and put cardboard and a thick layer of mulch in the walkway between rows. The mulch cushions the ground underneath from becoming compacted when I walk on it. To enrich these fallow areas, I like to compost in place.


Most of the time, I only have a gallon or so of raw materials--coffee grounds, egg shells, carrot peels and such. For that, I dig a hole about a foot deep. It would need to be deeper if I had a problem with scavengers digging it up. If I have my five gallon compost bucket full, I dig a trench a foot deep and three or four feet long. Both methods work well, but the hole is quick and easy.


I put several inches of kitchen waste (nothing cooked, no meat, grease or bones) in the hole and top it with shredded leaves, leaf mold or other brown compostable material.


I return the dirt to the hole, mounding it up as necessary, and top it off with cardboard, newspaper, or brown paper bags and a deep layer of mulch.


Now, the flora and fauna in the soil go to work, turning the new layers into something suitable for plant food.

It is best, I think, to compost in place in areas that won't be used until next year, although with the holes, I can mark their locations and plant between them this year if I need to. Over a year the mulch between rows will break down into a top layer of good compost as well.

While I've read repeatedly that I should get my soil tested, I've also read that there is nothing wrong with the soil that compost won't fix.

Stephen



Comments